About our choirs
- St Jacob’s Chamber Choir was founded in 1980. Since 2011, its home has been in both St Jacob’s Church and in Storkyrkan – Stockholm Cathedral. Its broad repertoire emphasises a capella music from different periods and more significantly – works for choir and orchestra. The choir has recorded over 20 CDs, including recordings of Bach’s Motets and the St John Passion. The choir has commissioned and premièred over 70 pieces by Swedish and international composers. The choir enjoys a busy travelling schedule with recent tours to Rome, Perugia and Assisi. The choir has won many awards in choral competitions, including the European Grand Prix for Choral Singing. Gary Graden is the director of the choir. www.sjk.se
- St Jacob’s Vocal Ensemble was founded in 2007 by its current conductor Mikael Wedar. The choir comprises 36 singers and has specialised in a capella music from the 20th century. In 2014, the choir won the European Grand Prix for Choral Singing in Debrecen, Hungary. In the summer of 2012, the choir was invited to represent Sweden at the World Symposium of Choral Music in Barcelona. Every year, the choir makes guest appearances at choral festivals worldwide. www.sjve.se
- The Stockholm Cathedral Singers is a choir led by Johan Hammarström. The sound is characterised by its warm timbre and dramatic expression. The choir has a special preference for the music of Brahms, Verdi, Rossini, the Viennese masters and the English Romantic era. The choir also has a mission to perform lesser-known music, a contribution to widening the scope of the Stockholm choral scene. www.domkyrkokören.se
- Stockholm Cathedral’s Children’s Choir and Stockholm Cathedral’s Girl’s Choir are led by Elisabeth Ljunggren Kurbany. Stockholm Cathedral’s Children’s Choir members are 5-10 years old, and the Girl’s Choir members are 10-16 years old. The choirs have had concerts with composer Georg Riedel, performed children’s musicals, have participated in Stockholm Old Town’s live performance during Advent, performed Lucia in Stockholm Cathedral and sung for the organisation ECPAT.
- Stockholm Cathedral Boy’s Choir is an institution with roots in the 17th century. The members are between 7 and 30 years of age. The adult section also perform under the name Schola Sancti Jacobi. Gregory Lloyd leads the choir. The choir’s Facebook page is here.